Terrariums are like miniature magical forests in a bottle. Whimsical and imaginative, these little natural landscapes can add a touch of fantasy and charm to any space, indoors or outdoors. From Garden Design magazine, here are some tips on how you can create your own beautiful terrarium at home.
- Acquire a glass container, vessel or vase around 10″ tall. You will also need to gather soil, rocks, dry moss, fresh moss, a spray bottle of water, a poking stick and any terrarium figurines you find at the craft store that inspire you.
- Soak the dry moss in water.
- Start layering your materials in the glass container by starting with an inch of rocks.
- Then, squeeze any access water out of the wet moss and add it to your container, poking it down to create a nice barrier over the rocks.
- Next, add a thin layer of soil, sculpting it into a curve or hill if you like. Finish this layer with a mist of water.
- Layer on the fresh moss, playing with the shape as well.
- Complete your terrarium with acorns, twigs, pebbles or figurines that add extra interest.
- Finally, place it somewhere away from decorate sunlight where you can enjoy it. Make sure to lightly spray it with water every 2 to 4 weeks.
Stay tuned to the Columbine Design blog for an exciting announcement about new garden services and products we will soon be offering!