Have you Completed your Spring Clean Up?
Spring is the perfect opportunity to take care of those weed problems once and for all, the chance to prepare the vegetable garden, and the time to fertilize all of your plants to get them off to a good start for another season of show. Many shrub varieties require proper spring pruning to ensure summer blooms. Be careful not to cut/shear spring blooming shrubs!
Key Elements in a Spring Clean Up:
- Remove leaf and needle debris.
- Apply fresh mulch to garden beds, as needed.
- Cut back dead leaf material from perennials.
- Cut back butterfly bushes to 12 inches.
- Prep vegetable garden with compost.
- Fertilize all perennials, shrubs and bulbs.
- Prune roses properly to prepare for good future growth.
- Shear shrubs such as Potentilla, certain Spireas and Russian Sage.
- Re-define bed lines that have lost their sharp look.
- Prune deadwood from older shrubs.
- Apply herbicide to problem weeds as they green up (grasses, bindweed, thistle). Early application will save you loads of time and trouble throughout the summer!
With a bit of work your gardens will be looking like this in no time!
Or, leave it to us. Columbine Design can take care of all your garden and landscape maintenance needs.